Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Eyeballery and Snapshotting

Tink Speck introduced a couple new skills the other day: Eyeballery and Snapshotting.

I love these skills.

Along with the new skills came a new feature: camera mode. Now, camera mode isn't just for taking pictures. With Eyeballery, you can use it to look around the whole screen. You can even do it WHILE mining. So while you're picking away at one rock, you can look around to find the next one. This has helped my own casual style of mining immensely. Although it doesn't work quite so well when the termites descend and clean out everything at once.

Now, Snapshotting is using the camera mode to take pictures. The pictures become png files saved to your computer. I really like this, and I'll explain why this is different than using print-screen to take a screenshot:


  1. Print-screen takes a picture of the whole screen.  This includes the UI and chat area.  Now, it's easy to crop out the chat area, but not so easy to get rid of the UI.  The camera feature takes a picture of the play area without the UI.  No metabolics, no rock.  Just picture.
  2. PNG file = better picture than a JPG.
  3. I think those are the only two reasons, actually, but they're good enough for me.


I'm not great with the whole print-screen thing so I like this feature. I know others won't care and are annoyed that it's a skill. There's one more thing I noticed, though. The skill is Snapshotting I, not just Snapshotting like other skills. This implies that there might be a Snapshotting II which will have more robust features, like perhaps zooming in or eliminating the foreground layer. I rather like that thought.

There will be more skills coming in the next few weeks, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they are.

I leave you with a picture of my house, taken with Snapshotting I:


No comments:

Post a Comment