Monday, October 3, 2011

Street Projects!

I got to participate in a street project this afternoon!

There are bunch of them going on in Pollokoo to open up a new mining area. At least, there were a bunch of them. The Locations page does list where the active projects are, so check it out. :)

I thought it was really great to see everyone playing nice together to get the project done. A bunch of Glitchen who could radiate did so as much as possible to help out. People were converting spices for others who couldn't grind. Food was being given freely. It was a wonderful collaborative atmosphere and a palpable sense of excitement.

The project I had a hand in was only 2 phases. I understand it's a temporary shortened thing so that the new streets could be rolled out quickly.

I really enjoyed the project. Hopefully the full projects will offer a little more of a feeling of control over what the end result looks like. It would be nice to see players choosing/competing for a certain path, and it's something that would put those "glitch referendum" votes to use. I'm sure I'm off the the mark here, though, and welcome the beta testers to illustrate in the comments how it worked before.

I should mention that there is a bit of competition built in for top contributors, but I didn't get much of a competitive vibe at all. Once again I'm struck by how friendly and mature the community is. I really hope it can keep that feeling as the playerbase grows. It's up to the veterans to lead by example, and the more socially-inclined glitches to foster a sense of community. If the new players see that "this is the way it is," they'll be inclined to continue the status quo, but it's up to us to build that status quo in the first place. I think we're doing really well so far. :)

Can't wait to get involved in the next project. I'm going to start stockpiling.... er.... stuff....

No comments:

Post a Comment